|Date Posted||May 13, 2019|
Media, Advertising & Communication
|Education Requirement||BBA & MBA Finance, BS and MS Finance, M.com, ACCA and/or relevant experience required|
|Career Level||Entry Level|
|Base Salary||Competitive Salary|
The Role: Data Associate, Technology, Media and Telecommunication, Data Journalism
The Team: You will join a dynamic team in the newsroom to help foster our goal of providing data-driven coverage of the sector around the globe. We are looking for an upbeat and self-starting candidate passionate about the complexities of the industry to provide our discerning readership with the news and analysis they need to excel at their jobs.
The Impact: Our digital newsroom is dedicated to delivering readers actionable news on financial markets around the world. You will work closely with editors and reporters focused on the technology, media and telecommunication sector. Analyzing financial markets and current events to highlight trends using our collected data.
What’s in it for you: In addition to building knowledge and expertise about technology, media and telecommunications, you will be able to generate stories about a range of topics related to technological advancements, demographics, investment activity, mergers and acquisition activity, market rates, ESG-issues, global media, and more. The position requires strong analytical, research, communication and report writing skills. The analyst will primarily be responsible for collecting data for exclusive pieces along with writing data-driven features and reports on the technology, media and telecommunications industry. He/she will be expected to have a high level of engagement in brainstorming sessions and will be responsible for generating new executable ideas that highlight interesting trends in their assigned domain. The ideal candidate will also possess strong verbal communication skills along with being inquisitive and willing to pitch in. He/she will be responsible for conducting webinars and trainings from time to time.
- Cover breaking news or trend analysis using S&P-collected and third party data
- Think critically to identify ways to incorporate data in news stories
- Carry out analysis to produce insightful features and data-driven analytical trends
- Collaborate with other reporters, and editors on data-driven coverage
- Educate the broader newsroom on how to use S&P's best in class data within day-to-day news coverage
- Articulate key financial and market trends; collate data and write data-driven articles and reports on assigned regions
- Fact-check data for articles
- Work with internal stakeholders on product enhancement initiatives and new data sets
- Collaborate with various SPGMI teams on ad-hoc projects to drive usage
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly developed analytical, research and problem solving skills
- High level of energy, unwavering attention to quality; ability to juggle multiple priorities and complete tasks autonomously
- Strong MS Excel skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Finance, journalism or related disciplines
- Enrollment in the CFA program is desirable
- Internship experience in finance, accounting, or related field
- Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, financial markets, analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Previous professional experience with data journalism
- Prior experience and knowledge about the broader technology, media and telecommunication sectors
At S&P Global Market Intelligence, we know that not all information is important—some of it is vital. Accurate, deep and insightful. We integrate financial and industry data, research and news into tools that help track performance, generate alpha, identify investment ideas, understand competitive and industry dynamics, perform valuation and assess credit risk. Investment professionals, government agencies, corporations and universities globally can gain the intelligence essential to making business and financial decisions with conviction.
S&P Global Market Intelligence is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or other legally protected categories, subject to applicable law.